XP installation of hardware failure via USB

bramkit 13:53 17 Apr 04

I am unable to install hardware via USB interface in WindowsXP. This was supplied pre-installed on machine with recovery disc. Failed installs include Cannon printer, Minolta camera and Card reader. None successfully installed as windows cannot find driver from supplied CD's. Also had to replace failed CDRW drive (now Asus) and windows asks for driver for this (although I understand no diver is needed), however CDRW works ok; I just cancel installation wizard on boot up. I contacted supplier of PC about CDRW who (after a long delay) suggested reinstallation via recovery disc. Can anyone help to resolve this frustration problem please?

spuds 14:12 17 Apr 04

Not saying that this is your problem solver, but I find that some 'older type' equipment [scanners-printers]can get a little confused on installation with XP. I found that a self-powered usb hub, in some cases, solved the problem.In other cases it was best to make a direct usb connection.

If you want to look up some drivers try click here click here click here click here or check the manufacturers own website for latest driver updates.

Octoz 13:33 19 Apr 04

Hi,
I had a similar problem which started when I tried to install my Fuji Digital Camera. A very helpful member of this forum stated that a clean re-install of XP was the only way to resolve the problem. I created a new partition, installed XP into it and plugged in a card reader, XP immediatley installed this and any other USB software that I plugged in. I then transferred information over from old XP before formatting the partition that the duff installation sat on.
Working very well now!

€dstowe 14:23 19 Apr 04

Are you installing the software before the hardware? With most USB devices, this is the convention.

There does appear to be something odd with the setup though.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac