XP Installation hangs

kat64 19:04 07 Jul 06

Hi,
I have just bought an oldish Pentium 2 pc that has no OS installed.It has a 5Gb HD. & 128Kb ram.
I am trying to install XP Pro. i changed the bios to boot to CDROM. Files were copied to the XP installation folders, then it says 'your computer will be restarted in 15 seconds'. when it restarts it opens as far as the XP Boot screen then it changes to a blue screen with the message 'Setup is being Restarted'. and thats where it sticks.I have tried at least 4 times to install but get the same result.

can anyone please advise.
Regards

jimv7 19:12 07 Jul 06

Computer 2 old, hard drive 2 small, try wim me or win 98v2.

woodchip 19:19 07 Jul 06

It's none of the above. Try installing with only the one Hard Drive and CD drive connected remove all PCI cards other than a Graphics card take the modem out if there is one. then try it. Also do not have any external's connected Only keyboard and mouse

kat64 20:06 07 Jul 06

Woodchip, You are amazing, I was up until 4am this morning trying to fix this and I have spent best part of today on it.
Why didnt I come to you in the first place.
XP is loading great now since I took your advice and removed the modem and sound card.
Many many thanks.
regards

woodchip 20:21 07 Jul 06

You need to install these one at a time

woodchip 20:30 07 Jul 06

PS XP may have problems finding Drivers for the Devices that's why it stalled. When you want to put the hardware in have a look at the driver CD to see if you can install these before fitting the cards or it may still freeze

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…