//some 3rd party need geo

XP Install on SATA HD

wossie 00:03 10 Mar 05

I Have just bought a SATA HD and want to know if it is possible to install XP PRO on a SATA, it says no hard disks installed or detected, I ghosted my original IDE C drive to it and booted from raid, but would like to fresh install XP. Is it possible to install to a SATA. MSI KT6 DELTA LSR Mobo. Thanks.

Completealias 00:09 10 Mar 05

It is yes you need to put your sata drivers onto a floppy disk then boot with the xp disk look at the bottom and at a point as it loading drivers up it displays a message like to install third party drivers press and a key can't remember exactly what time the message is displayed but it is an F? key. Then install the drivers from your floppy disk and setup should now see your hard drive

TomJerry 00:33 10 Mar 05

it is F6 key to press

phono 00:48 10 Mar 05

In relation to SATA HD install, I have a home built system using a Chaintech CT-SK8T800 mobo, Athlon 64 3200+ CPU, 1.0 Gb RAM and a Samsung 120 Gb SATA HDD plus 2 optical drives.

When I built the system and started to install Windows XP home SP1 I entered the BIOS, went to the VIA onchip Integrated peripherals page, selected SATA MODE, and was given a choice of IDE or RAID, as I did not want a RAID install I chose IDE.

My question is this, having set the BIOS in this way I was not asked for third party drivers and my SATA HDD was recognised by Windows setup and the install ran faultlessly, in choosing IDE mode have I restricted my HDD drive's speed?

I immediately installed the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and my system has performed without fault for months now, does SP1 include SATA drivers or have I compromised my HDD speed in the installation choice I made?

TomJerry 00:50 10 Mar 05

phono 00:53 10 Mar 05

Thanks for the rapid reply, have I made the right choice in BIOS though?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…