XP Install help needed asap!

djbenny 12:48 07 Aug 05

when installing xp home it stops half way through registering components i have rebooed the machine and its done it again i dont know what the problem is any help would be excellent the pc is a dell laptop and am using the version of weindws that is supplied with new dell computers

djbenny 13:01 07 Aug 05

anyone know...need to know urgently sorry bout this

djbenny 14:46 07 Aug 05

another problem with different machine, when installing windows it gets up to the graphical bit of the actual installing but then either just stops doing anything or restarts itself i have tried a new hard drive could it be the ram?

bit of a longshot but i had the same probs on my laptop and installing xp...i was installing on battery power and i dont know why i did it but i took the battery out and used the power supply..everything went fine after that..hope it helps ..regards akanic

woodchip 18:06 07 Aug 05

When a Install fails you should not reboot, it tell's you that when you start loading windows. You should turn the computer off, then restart it

woodchip 18:09 07 Aug 05

The CD you got may not be a full XP disc but may be a restore disc with drivers for other Hardware. That may be the Problem

djbenny 10:36 09 Aug 05

the version of xp is a full version and i do not restart the pc it restarts itself soon as it gets to the installing windows bit someyimes it comes up with an error but i cant read it because it reboots too fast...i dont know what the problem is i'm about to test windows 98 to see if that installs becase it might be a hardware error, if anyone has anymore suggesstions that'll be helpful

harps1h 11:34 09 Aug 05

i would suggest you take of any unnecessary components eg sound card modem etc. then reformat the disk by changing the boot sequence to cdrom first (that is if you already haven't done it). if there is a problem that will help you isolate it

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 16:15 09 Aug 05

are you upgrading or is it a fresh install? if you have a new copy of win xp have you tryed booting directly from the win xp disc

pk470 18:48 09 Aug 05

Try deleting the non dos partition using fdisk
and reinstall your OS.

woodchip 21:54 09 Aug 05

Suggest you have a hard long look click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…