XP - Icons reset to left-hand side on startup

BigNige 14:54 13 Feb 06

Recently my XP Professional SP2 system developed an annoying habit - every time I reboot all the icons get reset to the left-hand-side of the screen.

On startup the icons at first appear where they were when the PC was shut down, but then they all leap over into a random order on the left. I can see the icons being re-initialised several times on screen during the startup procedure (i.e. they go to generic icons then gradually reinstate the real icons).

Anyone know what might be causing these multiple icon loads, and particualrly what might be causing the annoying resetting to the left-hand side?

De Marcus™ 14:56 13 Feb 06

Right click on an empty part of the desktop and 'select arrange icons by' then uncheck 'auto-arrange and make sure 'align to grid' is selected.

BigNige 15:02 13 Feb 06

Thanks De Marcus, but 'auto-arrange' is already unchecked, and 'align to grid' is already checked too...

De Marcus™ 15:08 13 Feb 06

Another suggestion click here

VoG II 15:49 13 Feb 06

You might find click here handy for the future.

BigNige 16:11 13 Feb 06

Thanks again - like the guy on the other forum I didn't want to use a 3rd party piece of s/ware, but solve the actual problem. However I did pick up a tip there about using msconfig to disable startup items selectively until I could isolate the problem. The result was:

The culprit was something called CICache.exe, which seems to have been installed with a bytestor multi card reader I recently bought.

A quick search shows that other people have found the same thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…