Xp- how many times to reactivate?

rockclimber 23:05 03 Sep 03

Is there a limit to the number of times a copy of XP pro can be activated?
I have a (legit) copy of Xp pro.
It was new last August with a new PC, and in March the Mobo died. My local PC shop gave me a newer board and Processor, and I reinstalled and activated OK with Microsoft by phone.
In June I replaced the HDD with a larger drive, and of course I had to activate again, no probs.
A couple of weeks ago the Mobo died, (possibly a power surge as all electricity in area went off). The PC was out of warranty anyway, and my local friendly dealer has gone the way of all friendly dealers, pushed out by the giants.
I purchased a new MB from another local shop.

I have reinstalled XP, and as yet not activated, but I have now been told that only three activations per copy of XP pro are allowed.
I just hope that is not true.

Hoping someone can put my mind at rest.

Charlie.

busterjock 23:10 03 Sep 03

I have activated my copy of Win XP Home many times about 8, after a botched installation and after an upgrade etc. Had to call them the very first I installed it and after the upgrade, but since that I have activated over the net without any probs. Not aware of any limitations. Hope this puts your mind at rest.....

Jester2K II 23:11 03 Sep 03

I think you can re-actiavet as many times as you like but you'll be asked to speak to MS if you do it within 90 (or 120) days of the last one.

Djohn 23:12 03 Sep 03

I re-activated my copy of XP Pro via the internet 4 times last weekend alone! [Me having a problem where to install on to 2 new harddrives] couldn't make up my mind! No problem at all. j.

Mango Grummit 23:47 03 Sep 03

But it's crazy don't you think? I certainly would not have the patience to play that silly game but like all games the rules are there and if you don't like 'em don't play.

My XP went back in the box after three days so I don't play with it any more, not because of activate, reactivate, ad-infinitum by the way but I do believe XP has done more to alienate people against MS than anything they have done before.

powerless 23:56 03 Sep 03

The trick is with the 28 or is 30 days left toactivate XP.

Use the time to make sure everything is ok, setup properly...

Then if it is - activate it.

You'll get a nag nag nag about activating but still...

I actually tried to activate XP and was told i had to ring a number because XP had been activated too many times. But i reinstalled again and it activated...?

Mango Grummit 23:59 03 Sep 03

"It was new last August with a new PC....

.. A couple of weeks ago the Mobo died, (possibly a power surge as all electricity in area went off). The PC was out of warranty anyway...."

A couple of weeks ago it was still August. May I ask why the warranty was out of date as most are for 12 months???

Mango Grummit 00:01 04 Sep 03

Powerless, well played, but I know that you have patience, lol.

Chegs ® 00:02 04 Sep 03

Recently had major hassles with SATA hdd's,result was XP Pro refused to install so bought a new XP Home cd(it wasn't a damaged cd after spent £90)Home install crashed upto 5 times a day,and on install of adsl modem,activated to eliminate nag no problem,never had to call M$ yet.

Djohn 00:11 04 Sep 03

Just me thinking that each time I had got the install just how I wanted, so I activated. I did the same with "Office and Publisher". Now to-night I find that each time I open a file to have a look but make no alterations whatsoever, I am asked if I want to save changes, doesn't make any difference if I click "Yes or No", it will ask me again next time! Too many "Activations" I think? :o(

Jester2K II 00:13 04 Sep 03

This is a known problem. Its a problem with the Normal.dot file...

Start another thread or have a search - sure its come up before. Will have a look too..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…