XP - How many processes?

Camille 23:08 25 Feb 04

when i ran win98se there seemed relatively few running processes but now I'm on xp there seems an awful lot - most of which I don't recognise. Is there a way to identify which are necessary processes and which could safely be closed?

bvw in bristol 23:09 25 Feb 04
  Camille 23:14 25 Feb 04

very useful thanks, maybe I can start shutting down some of the 48 process running :)

bvw in bristol 23:18 25 Feb 04

48!

Good luck :o)

JIM 23:21 25 Feb 04

bvw in bristol has posted a good link for identifying etc. "48 is alota processes.:)" Would use caution to end any processes until you know windows xp.Do check items carefully.

woodchip 23:42 25 Feb 04

You will find more in MSCONFIG than Task List. Type MSCONFIG in Run BOX

Camille 22:25 26 Feb 04

I looked at the startup in msconfig and found 25 processes just at startup!
I've had the pc since July and it's been slowing down significantly recently. Had a few problems with my kids downloading and installing which I've stopped now but I think I'm reaping the results of their labours!

I must say I don't find xp as easy as 98

JIM 22:51 26 Feb 04

would suggest you go to the link and download spybot s&d just incase you have some bugs which are slowing down your system.

Most regulars would advise the same plus a few other safety programs.Make sure you have your xp firewall on if no other firewall loaded,and check your antivirus is upto-date and running.

Pop back if you are unsure,create an other thread if you have to as this has been ticked.

click here

Camille 23:29 26 Feb 04

I already have spybot and norton av running and up to date. I use XP firewall and adaware and run weekly checks with all of them. I checked the processes in the site bvw suggested and have managed to get the processes down to 32 which still seems a lot but apparently they're all ok/essential.

JIM 23:31 26 Feb 04

Well done your on the ball:)

cheers.

Camille 23:36 26 Feb 04

You're very kind :)
wish everything to do with pcs was as easy as keeping security up to date!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…