XP - How many processes?

Camille 23:08 25 Feb 04

when i ran win98se there seemed relatively few running processes but now I'm on xp there seems an awful lot - most of which I don't recognise. Is there a way to identify which are necessary processes and which could safely be closed?

bvw in bristol 23:09 25 Feb 04
  Camille 23:14 25 Feb 04

very useful thanks, maybe I can start shutting down some of the 48 process running :)

bvw in bristol 23:18 25 Feb 04

48!

Good luck :o)

JIM 23:21 25 Feb 04

bvw in bristol has posted a good link for identifying etc. "48 is alota processes.:)" Would use caution to end any processes until you know windows xp.Do check items carefully.

woodchip 23:42 25 Feb 04

You will find more in MSCONFIG than Task List. Type MSCONFIG in Run BOX

Camille 22:25 26 Feb 04

I looked at the startup in msconfig and found 25 processes just at startup!
I've had the pc since July and it's been slowing down significantly recently. Had a few problems with my kids downloading and installing which I've stopped now but I think I'm reaping the results of their labours!

I must say I don't find xp as easy as 98

JIM 22:51 26 Feb 04

would suggest you go to the link and download spybot s&d just incase you have some bugs which are slowing down your system.

Most regulars would advise the same plus a few other safety programs.Make sure you have your xp firewall on if no other firewall loaded,and check your antivirus is upto-date and running.

Pop back if you are unsure,create an other thread if you have to as this has been ticked.

click here

Camille 23:29 26 Feb 04

I already have spybot and norton av running and up to date. I use XP firewall and adaware and run weekly checks with all of them. I checked the processes in the site bvw suggested and have managed to get the processes down to 32 which still seems a lot but apparently they're all ok/essential.

JIM 23:31 26 Feb 04

Well done your on the ball:)

cheers.

Camille 23:36 26 Feb 04

You're very kind :)
wish everything to do with pcs was as easy as keeping security up to date!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…