xp home to xp pro - advice please

frior-one 20:18 20 Jan 06

Hi, i am going to upgrade my pc from home to pro so that i can connect to my work.
should i do it whilst in "safe mode" or does it not matter. anyone who has done the move, your input would be very welcome.
Regards.

wobblymike 20:25 20 Jan 06

How are you doing it do you have a win xp pro disc complete or an upgrade disc?

Totally-braindead 20:25 20 Jan 06

Cannot XP home do what you need without the upgrade?

frior-one 20:31 20 Jan 06

i have the xp pro (sp2) upgrade disc
need xp pro for domain log in to server at work. home can not join a domain.

wobblymike 20:34 20 Jan 06

ok
you can just load it into your PC and follow the install instructions. Be aware that it sometimes leaves files and drivers behind which can cause conflict - not as clean as a reformat and install from scratch don't forget to back up everything you need to keep just in case before you start.

frior-one 20:37 20 Jan 06

would doing it in safe mode help?

john-232317 20:41 20 Jan 06

You wont have cd drivers to run the disc in safemode.

PaulB2005 20:42 20 Jan 06

"You wont have cd drivers to run the disc in safemode."

Don't see why not. XP can read from CDs fine in Safe Mode.

However Safe Mode or not isn't even a question that needs answering. You boot the PC up with the Upgrade CD and it does the upgrade without even going into Windows.

wobblymike 20:52 20 Jan 06

frior-one
However Safe Mode or not isn't even a question that needs answering. You boot the PC up with the Upgrade CD and it does the upgrade without even going into Windows - from PaulB2005 above is spot on

frior-one 20:53 20 Jan 06

many thanks for help/pointers guys.

frior-one 20:54 20 Jan 06

i will leave this open for bit longer in case any one else wants to chip in. then i will mark it as resolved.
once again many thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…