XP home to XP Pro

welford 23:18 30 Dec 04

can I install XP Pro without first removing the existing XP home installation?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:35 30 Dec 04

yes if you make it a dual boot system, but why?

There is very little difference between Pro and Home.

Strawballs 23:41 30 Dec 04

I think they mean over the top of home FruitBat /\0/\

TomJerry 23:44 30 Dec 04

but, there is no advantage to upgrade unless you use company network which has a domain name

rayeoman 23:49 30 Dec 04

Unless you operate within a domain (as previously mentioned) which is usually part of a corporate network (and in which case they should provide the initial install of WinXPpro!!!), there is no reason to want to do this.

Home has ALL of the benefits of the PRO version, minus the higher level networking and domain functions.

I once wanted to do this too, justso I could have the blue bar at startup instead of the green one, and to have the word PROFESSIONAL on the screen for all to see. However, if you install SP2 - and who wouldn't? - one of the changes is to make the startup more generic by getting rid of the home or pro splassh.

Stick with what you know and avoid the extra hassle.

Stuartli 10:33 31 Dec 04

XP Home cannot possibly have ALL the benefits of Pro if it lacks the networking and superior security...:-)

welford 12:14 01 Jan 05

having read all replies I think I will follow advice and remain as I am with XP home. Many thanks to all who replied

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…