Xp home to Xp pro..

bellyshere 23:31 14 Aug 03

Can i upgrade my os to xp pro from xp home without losing everything i have on my hard drive.

oliverdore 23:36 14 Aug 03

It can be done (like an upgrade), but Microsoft don't reccommend it, since you are keeping older system files that might have problems.

Jester2K II 23:38 14 Aug 03

"since you are keeping older system files that might have problems. "

How does that work then? Surely if you "upgrade" you upgrade not hang on to old files.

I don't think there is a Home to Pro upgrade disk, but also not sure what would happen if you tried to upgrade using a Windows XP Pro CD (Upgrade or Full)

-pops- 06:43 15 Aug 03

According to the installation instructions "start here" for the XP Pro upgrade disk, XP Home Edition is listed on page 2 as one of the Windows versions that does qualify to be upgraded.

Can I ask why you want to do this? If you have a stable installation of XP Home, then the advantages of upgrading to the Pro version are few. If your installation is unstable then an upgrade carries the risk of transferring the instablility to the new installation.

For information: A "Quick Upgrade" of Windows XP Professional is for if "You want to keep your existing files and settings". Again from page 2 of the Windows XP "start here" booklet.

As pops states, there is really little benefit in an upgrade from home to pro unless you are a system administrator with many PC's on the network. I have both home & Pro and run a wireless network over two pc's at home. I really cannot tell you the difference apart from a few extra "admintrator" programs in Pro that I rarely if ever need. Stay with home!

-pops- 07:25 15 Aug 03

The main difference between the two, as far as most people are concerned, is that the "house colours" of Home are green and those of Pro are blue.

bellyshere 12:53 15 Aug 03

The reason i want to upgrade is because internet information services doesn't run on home edition and does on pro.

oliverdore 13:09 15 Aug 03

Contrary to speculation, there is a Windows XP Pro upgrade disk:

click here

And the reason for choosing a clean install, over building on your existing version of Windows XP Home is:

"It's a hassle for a variety of reasons, but sometimes clean installing Windows is the best bet. This is doubly true of XP, especially if you were previously running a Windows 9x-based OS. The upgrade procedure works, and works well, but it still leaves your hard drive littered with the remains of the past, wasting valuable disk space and making it difficult to tell which files are OK to delete and which should be left alone.

A clean installation of XP will also give you the best results, performance-wise. The downside, of course, is that you're starting fresh and will have to reinstall all of your applications, backup and restore all of your data, and re-do all of your personal settings. There are tools that will help you overcome these issues (see the pre-installation checklist below), but in some ways it's still a good idea to make that clean break with XP, especially for the 9x crowd. This is because XP is so different that you might want to spend time using it in its default set up. I suspect that many people won't want to change a thing if they just give it a chance.

In any event, this is my preferred method for installing any Windows OS and I recommend it for XP specifically."

[Extract from click here]

Cheers to all,

-oliverdore-

-pops- 13:16 15 Aug 03

Oh!!

Djohn 14:15 15 Aug 03

Double, oh! :o)

-pops- 14:30 15 Aug 03

If you refer back to my first response to this thread you will see that I quote from the booklet supplied with the Windows XP Pro upgrade disk. There is no speculation to be contrary about.

The best reason for installing from an upgrade disk is that, as long as you have a qualifying system, the upgrade is appreciably cheaper than the full version. That is not to say that the upgrade is any less full in its content than the other versions, just that you are unable to install without a previous version.

My "Oh" comment was directed at bellshere's requirement for the IIS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…