XP Home - Windows update Icon appears (auto?)

Mezzo 21:41 23 Jan 03
  Mezzo 21:41 23 Jan 03

Whilst reading some of the issues on here the windowsupdate icon appeared in my taskbar. All I could do with it was pause it (which I decided against). It just gave info on 'percentage complete' of whatever its downloading/installing, and then when it finished it dissapeared.

How can I find out what has been downloaded/installed??????

p.s. This happened before I checked windowsupdate, and doesnt appear in the installation history either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

VoG™ 21:47 23 Jan 03

Start, Control Panel, System. On the Automatic Updates tab select the settings that you want.

It is obviously set to check for and install updates automatically.

Mezzo 21:51 23 Jan 03

Oh right. Is there any way of seeing what its doing? Would it be just small unimportant stuff?

I guess the installation history on windowsupdate.com only shows what I've chosen to install myself right?

Its come up again! 79% complete so far!!!!!

VoG™ 21:58 23 Jan 03

There were two critical updates (security issues) that appeared today and I presume vit is getting those. If you go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs the updates will be listed as QXXXXXX where XXXXXX is a number.

If you go to click here , select Windows XP as the product, type QXXXXXX into the "For solutions containing... (optional)" box, tick Article ID and click on Go it should tell you what has been installed.

VoG™ 21:59 23 Jan 03

Where the QXXXXXX that you enter is the actual number that you see in Add/Remove programs, obviously.

Mezzo 22:02 23 Jan 03

Gotcha. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…