XP Home and Windows Explorer

OS/2 = Obselete soon too! 19:12 02 Jul 03

Recently, I have been using my computer and for no reason Windows Explorer will crash. I send the error report, and after that, the desktop and taskbar dissapear, then reappear about 3 seconds later.

It works ok after, but it is an inconveinience.

Any ideas how to stop this?

Thanks

The Spires 19:22 02 Jul 03

You could run Sytem file Checker as a first point of entry:
Click 'Start' and select 'Run'.

Type: sfc /scannow and click OK

Have your XP installation CD handy, and then sit back and wait while XP checks itself.

OS/2 = Obselete soon too! 19:25 02 Jul 03

Why should I have my installation CD ready Spires? I have it, but I was just wondering why.

Is there any other measure I should take (ie. backup all my files beforehand?) Also, how long will it take?

Thanks for the advice...any more welcomed!

bremner 19:30 02 Jul 03

You need the CD in the drive so XP can replace any files that are missing or corrupt. No you do not have to back anything up.

It will take about 10 minutes.

OS/2 = Obselete soon too! 19:21 03 Jul 03

I am starting to get worried about this problem, as I have only had my laptop for 2 months and this problem never occured when I first bought it!

I have tried the System file thing, and it seems to have made no difference lol.

Does anyone have anymore ideas?!

VoG II 19:28 03 Jul 03

It's a long time since I had a crash in XP but from memory the send error report gives you the option to see what error message is being sent. If you post that here it might give us a clue.

OS/2 = Obselete soon too! 19:33 03 Jul 03

It was to do with shell32.dll

If it happens again i'll post in more detail.

Can anyone come up with anything from that? (Probably not!)

SimonC 19:47 03 Jul 03

Hey OS/2 = Obselete soon too!
Don't be too quick to blame XP for this problem. I run Windies XP Pro and 4 the most part it is rock solid, but there r times when the use of certain apps or maybe something running in the back ground causes explorer to crash. I find that graphic intensive proggy's like ACDSee (a photo viewing prog) or viewing certain pictures in Windies Explorer will cause it to crash. I don't have an answer but I do use a tweak program that u can set to automaticaly re-launch explorer if it crashes. It's either Tweak XP or Tweaknow Powerpack, offhand I forget, but it works. I will confirm which it is if u r interested in giving it a try.
Hope my waffle has been of some help, but the moral of the story is don't panic Mr Manwaring;)

Let me know how u go on

SimonC

Fateful Shadow 21:57 04 Jul 03

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1221 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 00007ec4

That is what I was able to collect off the error message.

If anyone can help it would be more than greatly appreciated!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now