XP Home will not boot

Alan H E 13:02 01 Apr 05

My son in laws computer will not boot - will get to screen offering safe mode last known configuration etc but no choice will work. He is with me for a few days & any ideas are welcome. Note he only has a recovery disc & doesn't want to use this if at all possible due to data loss.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:13 01 Apr 05

click here scroll down to system keeps restarting#2.

Alan H E 14:32 01 Apr 05

Thanks Fruit Bat but he only has a recovery disc which will reformat his drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 01 Apr 05

There are several options(methods) to exolore on the site other than running the restore disk.

Alan H E 17:20 01 Apr 05

^

quack 17:27 01 Apr 05

With some recovery disks you can hold down F5 and F8 whilst the system is booting and you are given the possibility of only loading the core files and thus saving any data loss. Can't guarantee it will work in your case but it is worth a try.

lotvic 01:36 02 Apr 05

You haven't said what make the pc & recovery cd is but,
There are usually more options on recovery disks than just 'restore to factory settings'
I suggest you insert the cd and see what menu comes up.

OR If you want to look at /explore the contents of the cd hold down the 'shift' key when you insert it and then it won't autorun.

Also If you have space on your hard drive you could take his out and set jumper to slave and put in your pc and copy all his data files to your hard drive so that you can copy it back after his O/S is sorted out. (use same method - set his [now fixed O/S] to slave put in your pc copy files back to his h/drive)

Alan H E 10:06 02 Apr 05

Thanks for suggestions - his home is in Kent & I am in Hampshire. It is a Time machine with Time recovery disc. Also I'm running 98se.

Alan H E 10:11 02 Apr 05

His computer is in Kent & I'm in Hampshire. It is a Time machine & recovery disc.

Alan H E 17:12 02 Apr 05

Thanks - he will have another look tomorrow with your thoughts in mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…