xp home upgrade

chippy+ 15:16 30 Apr 06

hi can anyone help i would like to install an upgrade version of windows xp home the os that is installed is a pirate copy of xp professional which i found out to my cost i would like to install the xp home upgrade version i have a w98 official disc could anyone help with clear instructions thank you Chippy

ACOLYTE 16:21 30 Apr 06

Well i will try,First enter the bios and set the first boot option to CD,then save and exit the bios when it retarts have your xp home upgrade cd in the drive,let it boot from this and when prompted,insert the 98 cd so it can verify the install,then put your xp upgrade cd back in and follow the onscreen prompts to install xp.Delete the old partition with the iffy OS on it,let windows format the drive and install the upgrade of xp home.It all comes on screen so as long as you read what it says you cant really go far wrong.Dont forget after xp restarts the pc the first time go back in the bios and set the hard drive as first boot,leave the xp cd in the cd drive as it will continue to install xp after the initial restart.

HTH

chippy+ 16:28 30 Apr 06

hi ACOLYTE
thanks for your help
CHIPPY

Ray5776 17:51 01 May 06

Back up everything needed to removable media or other HD if present.

Boot with Win 98 floppy BOOT disk (make one from Win 98 CD if you don’t have one)

Start computer with CD Rom support (enter)

A:\ fdisk (enter)

Enable large disk support

Delete all partitions

Create primary DOS partition (use max size option)

Restart and format HD (A:\ format C)

Leave volume label blank

Change drive to your CD drive, probably now E (A:\E:)

Check to make sure it is not the RAM drive, if it is use a different drive letter ie (A:\D:)

E:\ dir

E:\ setup.exe

Run setup

Install Win 98

Use XP home CD to upgrade (after Win 98 installed put XP CD in drive and follow instructions)

DieSse 17:56 01 May 06

Follow Acolytes advice - you don't need to install Win98 first.

Ray5776 22:24 02 May 06

If you have solved it, post as solved and tell us how
so that we can help others with similar probs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…