XP Home Upgrade

philwane 12:16 06 Aug 03

Hi
I have just phoned my local shop to price up XP Home Upgrade and he says I cannot do a clean install with the Upgrade version only the Full version which is twice the price is he correct at the moment I am using Windows ME and I have the full disk

Jester2K II 12:23 06 Aug 03

Nope. I've done a full install using the Upgrade Home CD. It'll ask you for the WinMe CD at some stage.

Jester2K II 12:28 06 Aug 03

click here

Under "Steps to Clean Install XP"

8. If you are using the upgrade version of XP on a computer without any version of Windows currently installed, this is where you will replace the XP CD with your qualifying CD, XP setup will scan the qualifying CD and instruct you to replace it with the XP CD to continue XP setup; otherwise, you will not see this screen. Clean install qualifying media can be any of the following Win NT3.51, 4.0, 2000, Win 95, 98, Me.

JIM 12:31 06 Aug 03

Hope this may help.

My opinion regarding upgrading an earlier operating system to Windows XP. Don?t do it.

Question. Can the current operating system be upgraded to Windows XP?

Answer.

There is no upgrade path to XP. For Win 98, 98SE, and Me users, you can upgrade to either XP Home or Professional versions.

Even if you do meet the XP minimum requirements that?s just the beginning. All the parts and pieces need to be checked against the Hardware Compatibility List.

Unless you are prepared to replace anything not on the list, it pays to know in advance what components will not be compatible and likely cause problems.

If you don?t have a copy of Windows XP, borrow the CD from a friend and pop it into your CD drive. Close the screen if auto run launches and open Run from the Start Menu. Type in D:\winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly, substituting the drive letter of your CD-ROM for D if it?s different.

This will launch the Microsoft Windows Upgrade Advisor that will identify any hardware and software upgrade incompatibilities. Save or print the results after the advisor finishes.

philwane 12:32 06 Aug 03

He also told me if I change the motherboard sometime after XP is installed I will have to pay Microsoft £45.00 to re register is this correct?

JIM 12:34 06 Aug 03

New one on me that!£45.00 to re register.

Jester2K II 12:36 06 Aug 03

Nope. You might need to phone MS (Free) and explain you upgraded your Mobo but according to what i was told here that'll be fine.

Jester2K II 12:38 06 Aug 03

Apparently you can't upgarde hardware again for 120 days or something between upgrades of hardware. As long as the upgrade it legit you should have no problems...

click here

The Sack 12:39 06 Aug 03

click here to get XP Pro for £48

Jester2K II 12:40 06 Aug 03

Any other myths you were told that we can dispel??

Just buy the upgrade disk from the cheapest place. Upgrade any hardware you are also considering. backups your data, format C and clean install..

However it might be better to do the upgrade first because if you find a problem you can easily roll back out of XP to Win ME. Save the Clean install for when you have all your drivers up to date and backed up..

Jester2K II 12:47 06 Aug 03

Students and Teachers Special Education Upgrade

You'll have problems installing that if you don't qualify.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…