XP home updates problem.

Daibus 19:35 11 May 03

In the past there was no problem downloading and installing XP updates but recently the install seems to fail, even after being downloading successfully.

This has happened many times even with,for example,the firewall disabled although a recent update to Windows Messenger did install on the computer but the problem persists even with XP Critical Updates.

Any ideas with thanks.

powerless 19:38 11 May 03

Take a look here click here

Daibus 20:13 11 May 03

Powerless

Many thanks for reply...I looked at the recommended site but could not find the message that I get displayed, namely " No updates were installed " without any error number attached to it.

Any other solution ?

powerless 20:32 11 May 03

Which updates do not install?

Daibus 20:57 11 May 03

Powerless

Updates that will not install on XP home after downloading; Numbers 816093 810577 811630 and 331953 .

Thanks for your help.

powerless 21:32 11 May 03

Go to Windows update click here

Click "Personalize Windows Update"...

POP a tick in "Display the link to the windows update catalog under see also"...

Now click "Save setting"...

You will now have a "Windows Update catalog" appear on the left, under SEE ALSO. Click it!...

Click "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems"...

Scroll down the list to "Windows XP SP1", now click search on the right...

Click "Critical Updates and Service Packs (XX)"...

Find the update by the number...and click ADD...

Now click "Go to Download Basket"...

Choose a place where the file will be downloaded...

Then click "Downlaod Now".

Click ACCEPT.

Now when its downlodded click the folder and keep clicking (theres a few folders) and you will get to the update and it should install.

If it still fails to install...

Follow this path C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot and remane the folder to oldcatroot

Also

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2 rename this folder to oldcatroot2.

Then try to update again. It may be better doing this fisrt.

Daibus 00:27 12 May 03

Powerless

Many many cheers as I tried the changes in system32 that you suggested and success, the two downloads I've tried so far, installed successfully...great!

I would also like to ecko the opinion of others and say what a great help this website has been to me and for the information and advice that it gives generally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…