XP Home unable to share printer with XP Pro

bhcs 18:56 14 Oct 05

Hello, any advice out there?

Got Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro computers which can see each other on LAN. Have shared the Printer hooked up to the XP Home PC (via USB) and am trying to get the XP Pro pc to connect to it. Every time I try to browse to the XP Home PC from the XP Pro PC I receive an access denied message. I've checked that xP Home sharing is set up right, still can't get them to talk, even with firewall off. Strangely, the XP Home PC can browse the XP Pro PC no bother, but the printer has to be on the XP Home PC. Anything I can do abiout this or is it a shortcoming of XP Home?

Cheers

slowhand_1000 19:20 14 Oct 05

When on the XP Home is there anything in 'My Network Places'?

bhcs 00:30 15 Oct 05

Only when you browse Entire Network, same on XP Pro

Taff36 07:34 15 Oct 05

Run the Network Setup Wizard from Control Panel. Make sure that you Call the network MSHOME which is the dfault for XP Home. (Your XP Pro machine has a default to WORKGROUP) Make a floppy disc if you can and follow the instructions to run it on the other machine. Reboot both computers and see what happens.

Also in Windows Firewall on the advanced tab make sure that the boxfor file and printer sharing is ticked on both machines. This should be covered when you run the wizard but do check.

bhcs 15:39 16 Oct 05

Have already run the network setup wizard and the network on both is called WORKGROUP. Also have checked the firewall and file and priner sharing is enabled.

jimv7 16:01 16 Oct 05

On xp pro, go to add remove printers, add printer, follow the wizard through to add a network printer.

Taff36 19:29 16 Oct 05

Simple File Sharing - XP Home uses it by default. XP Pro does not. On the XP Pro machine (You don`t have the option on XP Home)In My Computer Tools>Folder Options on the view Tab underneath Advanced Settings - scroll down to the last entry and make sure it is ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…