XP Home totally wiped out

alan227 22:52 11 Jun 06

Can anyone give me a clue to this problem.
I was on e-bay and everything locked up ( no keyboard or mouse ) so I pressed the reset button and checkdisk came up, in process 2, it deleted a file associated with $130 Documen~1.
When it had finished it rebooted and said it had to reset my personal preferences after doing that all my programs had gone, so I thought do a system restore, the only problem was when I clicked on accessories to go to system tools there was nothing in accessories it was completley empty.
At the moment I am doing an Acronis restore.

Can anyone suggest what would totally wipe out windows.

Taff™ 22:56 11 Jun 06

What Anti-Virus do you have? McAfee maybe?

alan227 23:00 11 Jun 06

No Taff™, I use AVG which I have used for a couple of years

Siberian Winter 23:18 11 Jun 06

My son was using the computer when it crashed. He restarted, but when the XP bootscreen came up it stayed like that for several minutes until it went into checkdisk. The problems it listed were enough to chill the blood. Eventually it booted up after a good hour going through correction routines but the taskbar was screwed up, and the start menu was blank. I decided a total reformat/re-install was on the cards. When I booted with the XP Pro disk in the drive I had an option to repair current installation. Hey presto it did the trick. Saved me a lot of bother. Good luck.

Taff™ 23:20 11 Jun 06

Just a guess really. Friend of mine loaded McAfee last week and lost all the program icons as well as the Start button. Repair Install required to solve it.

woodchip 23:28 11 Jun 06

Just posted you on CT

alan227 23:55 11 Jun 06

He has restored from Acronis and is up and running again.

Still it would be nice to solve the mystery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…