XP Home thinks its XP Pro

Chegs ® 13:02 09 Dec 03

or at least if I try SFC /scannow it pops up a box stating "Windows File Protection....Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 CD now"

I dont have XP Pro(not a working cd anyway)so anyone any suggestions.I tried inserting XP Home cd only it states that its found XP Home and wants XP Pro.

Chegs ® 13:08 09 Dec 03

Sussed it,There was a large greasy Fraggle pawprint on the shiny side of the XP cd,removed it and off it went.

Big Elf 13:08 09 Dec 03

I've just found out that my OEM XP Home disc does exactly the same thing so I'll be interested in the solution.

Big Elf 13:11 09 Dec 03

I've cleaned my disc but it still doesn't work.

Big Elf 13:20 09 Dec 03

After pressing 'Retry' about 30 times it eventually worked.

Jester2K II 14:01 09 Dec 03

Its a bug. When i tried it once it asked for the "Whistler" CD. I think that was the XP Codename.

As Big Elf says just keep pressing Retry.

Stuartli 14:36 09 Dec 03

It just might be a practical joke by the programmers - there have been examples in the past with Microsoft products.

Gaz 25 17:30 09 Dec 03

Sounds like an easter egg,

I heard that XP home includes most of the features and icons, etc that XP pro has in, but they are sort of not coded into Home ed.

Teen PC geek 18:05 09 Dec 03

I would like to hear about more of them - It would be funny readig about them...:-)

©®@$? 18:15 09 Dec 03

I remember hearing that Microsoft is no longer
allowing Easter Eggs in their products because the Government will not use
programs with "undocumented features" which EEggs definately are

but if you look in C:\windows

you will see a log file called 0

open it and its nothing

also in there there is clock.avi

and if you goto start/all programs/games/solitare

hold down alt,shift,2 you will get the winning screen

don't know if they are easter eggs, but can't see any reason why they are there..ms obviously left the 0 log which is no use whatso ever and i'd say the same thing for the clock.avi

Gaz 25 18:22 09 Dec 03

That one is: hold down alt,shift,2 you will get the winning screen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…