XP Home Startup Freeze - SFC Not helping :(

GibsonSt19 13:33 08 Oct 04

I'm trying to sort a prob with my wifes PC whereby on startup the PC usually freezes as the Windows XP Loading bar is doing its thang.

I can get into Window via Safe Mode, and have looked at the startup files etc, however as this is a fresh Windows XP Home SP2 install, there's nothing really that could be conflicting. I've looked in Device Manager aswell, and there are no hardware conflicts.

Now, I'm tryin to do a sfc /scannow, however when it asks for the Windows XP cd I put it in the drive, the progress bar moves a little further then tells me that 'Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now'.

IT'S IN THE TRAY!!! And what's even more annoying is that IT KNOWS it's there, cos if I insert a different CD, it states that it's not the correct CD!

Your thoughts, as always would be much appreciated.

For some reason, even though I've had the Vid Card heatsink and fan off for cleaning, I think it's the card that's causing the probs. By the way, it's an old ASUS v8200 Deluxe (64mb).

JonnyTub 13:35 08 Oct 04
  GibsonSt19 13:40 08 Oct 04

Microsoft may charge me to send me the fix?!?!?!

Why on earth?

OwenLotts 13:49 08 Oct 04

Theres a bug in SFC that means it keeps asking for the CD over and over. Keep going and it will finish. At one point mine has asked for the Whilster CD (no joke).

GibsonSt19 13:51 08 Oct 04

It's never happened before. I'm also a little wary that that process might not have actually completed, as I know with other CD installs in the past, if a file's not been found on the CD, it keeps letting me Retry and the progress bar keep moving, but the required files have not actually been installed.

I'll see how it is after a restart.

GibsonSt19 11:37 14 Nov 04

I found something on the net which allowed me to edit the registry (with caution), to allow me to keep my Windows i386 file on my HDD, and have the installer point to that instead of the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…