//some 3rd party need geo

XP Home startup fail

patchiesdad 12:30 27 Oct 03

I have a Multivision PCD700 XL system running WinXP Home with an AMD Athlon XP1600+ CPU, Gigabyte GA-7VTX DDR Socket A Motherboard, 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM, and 64MB Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 yro 2 chipset Graphics Card. The system is 2 Years old, and has been relatively trouble free, apart from the odd software conflict that System Restore has resolved.
My problem is a couple of times recently the computer has refused to start. If left overnight switched off, on starting the following happens, (or doesnt!) The green power light and red disk activity light come on and remain steady. Nothing else happens.
The system does not go thro the self check, ie the CD and DVD drive lights do not flash, the floppy is not checked (no light flash and no short disk activity) and there is no "beep". The monitor remains in standby. The first time this happened, after several attempts and checking all connections OK, it did start, but no drives were recognised and a message "Boot Failure" given together with instruction to boot from floppy. My son eventually resolved this by (somehow) getting into the CMOS menu and clicking "Autodetect all drives" or some such. After which the computer booted up normally and all was tickety boo.
After switching off that night, the following morning the same symptoms occured on pressing the start button. Re-starting a few times had no effect, then after about half a dozen or so attempts, maybe more, the computer suddenly started up normally and booted OK. It has been left on since. I am suspicious of the CMOS/Clock battery, my son is not so sure. Can anyone help please? I am scared to switch off my computer in case it will not boot up again!

many thanks in advance.

spikeychris 12:46 27 Oct 03

Well you should get more than two years worth of bat power but why not just change it and see. Buy one first and just replace, your settings will be saved if you just switch there and then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…