XP Home SP2 shut down problem

lester1 00:21 15 Nov 05

After using the PC for a while I get an extended shut down time, after clicking start shut down the PC hangs for ages.When starting the task manager no processes are running ,then seletcting shut down in task manager gives the windows is saving your settings screen which hangs for a good 5 minutes.

I have tried shutting down in safe mode as following Microsofts advise everything is OK I have attempted to find any programs that I have deleted and reinstalled same to no availe.

If I start the PC and run it for a very short time and then shut down no problems.

Any ideas

BigRik 01:42 15 Nov 05

If you've already done your (hopefully) routine scans for spyware/malware/adware & viruses and everything is ok, you could have a look here click here.

If you still have no joy, try using the system restore facility.

lester1 13:48 15 Nov 05

Thanks for that,

Yes the system is spyware/malware and virus free I've got just about every good program available running with regular scans.

The system is relatively new (7 months) so hopefully no faulty or worn components should be present.

System restore may be the heart of my problem as I tried a Restore to cure other problems and was forced to carry out another after the first caused some problems on the PC.

I have also tried SFC/Scannow but to no avail.

Any other suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 15 Nov 05

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

lester1 00:23 16 Nov 05

Thanks will take a look

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…