XP Home SP2 boots ok but not in safe mode

hugh-265156 15:24 20 Apr 05

Hi folks this has me totally baffled.

My computer starts up normally and runs great without any issues at all but I just noticed today that it refuses to start in safe mode. Surely if it boots up and runs ok normally then safe mode should work too yeah?

When I try to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 and selecting it from the list I get as far as the list of basic drivers displayed in white text on a black screen as usual for safe mode, then the screen goes totally blank and stays that way (I gave it 20 mins just to check) starting up as normal works just fine as above and loads the desktop and is usable in under a minute.

Not sure what to try I ran system restore which worked ok but failed to solve the problem so ran the system file checker next, this didnt help either so tried running a full chkdsk next by ticking both boxes and restarted.

When the computer restarted it booted as far as the black windows loading screen with the blue progress bar and then when the 'disk check has been scheduled' screen is supposed to appear the screen goes totally blank, stays like this for 30 secs or so and then the computer restarts as normal and runs fine as before. So chkdsk doesnt run either now lol! :-)

I have tried using the recovery console and tried 'FIXMBR' and also 'FIXBOOT' these commands worked once before when my other computer failed to boot normally or into safe mode but didnt help me this time.

Any ideas what I should try next please would be great thanks.

Yoda Knight 15:50 20 Apr 05

No ideas, but you might want to keep an eye on this thread for ideas: click here

woodchip 16:00 20 Apr 05

Try these F5 instead of F8 also if you have a full XP disc run SFC /SCANNOW from run with disc in comp

Chegs ® 16:19 20 Apr 05

None of my XP installs have ever managed to boot in safemode(usually hangs at mup.sys)I had a look round the net to remedy this,but decided it was to much like hard work(especially with SATA,having to go thru the rigmarole of F6 for drivers)for little gain... :-)

hugh-265156 17:29 20 Apr 05

Thanks very much for the help folks but I got it fixed yay!

Instead of ticking both boxes in 'error checking' and restarting the computer as I normally would I just ticked 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' this doesnt require a restart and it ran ok in windows. I then ticked both boxes and restarted this time and chkdsk ran a full check as normal with nothing to report.

restarted once more and tried safe mode (crossed my fingers). now working :-)

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…