XP Home shutdown error

130357 13:09 03 Aug 03

I have recently started getting the following message at every shutdown:
Wincomp.exe application error
0x73dd1946 Ref memory at 0x00325004.
I have "gone back" to a previous error free date, but it persists.
The only download I've done is for my Systemwork antivirus annual registration.
I have a limited knowledge of software, so please make any answers idiot proof! Thanks, in advance.

Chegs ® 14:19 03 Aug 03

click here search?q=cache:YVAWaakvZG4J:download.nai.com/products/media/magic/support/zac/zac64/ readme.wri+Wincomp.exe+application+error&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

appears to point to Mcafee? AV.If this is your AV prog,then suggested fix is at the above URL.

Chegs ® 14:24 03 Aug 03
  Namibia 20:47 10 Aug 03

Chegs, Thanks for your reply but what should I do with your answer. I'm taken to a site which asks me to download a programme but I've always been told to never download anything unknown. What does it do? I've never installed Mcafee. I have Norton. I'm now getting a different message ending "memory cannot be written"

malgall 21:19 10 Aug 03

i would try contact symantec who make norton
you should have the help web page listed on your computer
but if not its click here

Djohn 21:27 10 Aug 03

Usually, but not always, refers to the fact that the last program/application you have been using is holding on to that portion of memory, hence the message! Not sure if this helps you.

I was receiving the same type of error when exiting from Express, after reading an-email then closing the program. It was traced back to the anti-virus program I was using. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…