XP home & setting up a user

recap 15:26 05 Feb 04

Hi all,

I have been asked to help a friend setup a new user account on a laptop running XP Home. I can set the account up with or without a password but, the account will not log in. It keeps saying that it cannot find the user profile on the network. It is not on a network though.

Looking through the Event Viewer it shows that the user has been logged in.

Anybody any suggestions as to what is happening?

recap 08:46 09 Feb 04

Still having problems, anybody any ideas as to what the problem could be?

BLH 11:17 09 Feb 04

recap try looking under all connections if there is any shown right click it then properties and look for client for microsoft networks then click install. i think this might help if it don't just do the same and uninstall it.

recap 13:26 09 Feb 04

Thanks BLH, will pass this on.

spikeychris 18:29 09 Feb 04

Hello recap it looks likes XP can't
find the ntuser.dat file that should be in the new user profile. Have you had a look in %SystemRoot%\Profiles there will be an all users in there....

Chris

recap 08:42 10 Feb 04

Hi spikeychris,

Yeah, I even created a new Profiles folder and pasted the ntuser.dat file in it, still no luck.

When the user has been added the log on screen just goes smokey (is the best way of describing it). If I klick on the Admin account it opens it up straight away.

It's the error messages about cannot find a profile on the network that is confusing as there is no network setup and won't have one as it's the only computer they have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac