XP Home Service Pack 1

cassie75 22:18 05 Jan 03
  cassie75 22:18 05 Jan 03

Hi,

I have been encountering a few IE 6.0 errors/lock ups etc, I have been thinking of installing SP1, will this help do you think?

Also what is the best way to load it on, just as an upgrade on top of XP Home.

powerless 22:24 05 Jan 03

Well you shouldnt have IE6.0 errors/lockups so the problem might be something else. SP1 might be able to solve it or it maynot.

Put your XP Disc in the CD-drive. Go to "run" and type in...

SFC /SCANNOW

Then click "ok"

Let it do what it does and then see if you get the error and lockups...

If you do then what are the errors you get?

If you dont then you can install SP1 its automatic you dont have to do anything really. You'll get different opinions on the update. Some say it causes problems, some say it does not. I have it and no problems here.

Chris777 22:24 05 Jan 03

This might sound a bit grim, but SP1 would probably amplify the problem, in my experience. I certainly wouldn't contemplate installing it on any of my PCs this end.... I'd suggest you saved your critical files and reloaded XP "from scratch" to get your machine back on an even keel.

Mac & Beth 22:25 05 Jan 03

You could try it but to answer the second question you can only add SP-1 as an upgrade. Its a huge patch and not a version as such in its own right.

cassie75 22:39 05 Jan 03

Ok thanks all.
Well I think i got it sorted, I put my office cd in, and used the repair option...this has stopped my Internet explorer to stop locking...

Thanks all.

Mac & Beth 22:40 05 Jan 03

as Office has nothing to do with Internet Explorer.... but there you go!!!!!!

VoG™ 22:45 05 Jan 03

I'm confused too but if it worked, good luck to you!

powerless 22:47 05 Jan 03

;-)

But hey he got it fixed.

AMD 4 ever 22:48 05 Jan 03

Thanks, it was mentioned outside of here, I doubted it but seemed to do the trick.

Or maybe I just got lucky!

AMD 4 ever 22:51 05 Jan 03

Thanks, it was mentioned outside of here, I doubted it but seemed to do the trick.

Or maybe I just got lucky!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…