XP Home Search freezes

newts 13:41 11 Aug 04

When I use search my system freezes. From start>search>files and folders>name fine but when I start there is no response and system freezes. It has worked happily for years.Have tried system restore but no joy. Any thoughts?

Dan the Confused 14:21 11 Aug 04

Click START>RUN and type sfc /scannow (press enter), you will need your XP disc. This will replace any corrupt system files.

newts 08:45 12 Aug 04

Thanks Dan the Confused for suggestion but in fact I have already run scannow with no result. I have searched Goggle, Microsoft help etc but it just seems no one has had this problem. I have been running PC's for years from Windows95 through them all and cannot find out what has caused this, some uninstall I suspect and the link in registry. My son has a laptop with WXP on it and I will have to borrow it and compare and work through the registry when I have the time. In the meantime it is a pain!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…