XP home restrictions for folders?

Gaz 25 19:11 26 Mar 03

I have XP pro on most of my computers, however, I have some Win XP computers too, now I heard you can change access permissions on files in XP Home too. However there is no Security tab to change who can and cannot access my folders, how can I change these settings?

If not is there any software (Hopefully free) that will allow me to deny access to some folders for perticualar users?

Thanks.

cream. 19:32 26 Mar 03

Don't know if these are any good for you.

click here
click here

Look at security section here.
click here

If at worse, it gives it a Bump. lol

PhilipH 19:46 26 Mar 03

An excerpt taken fron MS Windows XP Inside Out book, may help.

An undocumented loophole in Windows XP Home Edition makes it possible (although not easy) to set individual file and folder permissions by starting in Safe Mode. On a home computer where the drive containing the Documents And Settings folder is formatted with NTFS, for instance, you might have three accounts, all in the Administrators group: Mom, Dad, and Katy. Mom and Dad each need to be able to do online banking with Quicken or Microsoft Money, but daughter Katy isn’t allowed near those files. If Mom stores the data file in her private My Documents folder both Katy and Dad are locked out. If she stores the data file in the Shared Documents folder, Katy can access it. The solution? Mom needs to take the following steps:
Create the data file in her (Mom’s) My Documents folder.
Copy the data file to the Shared Documents folder. (Leave the existing file in the My Documents folder as a backup in case of problems.)
Restart the computer in Safe Mode (see "Using Safe Mode," for instructions) and log on from the Welcome screen.
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Shared Documents folder.
Right-click the file whose permissions are to be adjusted and choose Properties from the shortcut menu. Click the Security tab and remove all accounts except Mom, Dad, and System, each of which should have Full Control. (You may need to change inheritance settings, as described in "Applying Permissions to Subfolders Through Inheritance.")
Restart the computer, log on using each account, and try to access the file. If the permissions work as expected, delete the backup copy.
You can use this same technique to restrict access to any folder stored on an NTFS-formatted volume.

Gaz 25 19:56 26 Mar 03

I press F8 all the time in boot up and it just wont boot in safe mode. Help please?

PhilipH 20:36 26 Mar 03

Again from the XP Inside Out book instructions to add Safe Mode in the boot options.

1 Right-click My Computer on the Start menu and choose Properties.

2 On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup And Recovery section.

3 In the Startup And Recovery dialog box, click the Edit button to open Boot.ini in Notepad.

4 Under [Operating Systems], select the entire line that contains the settings for your default operating system choice and copy it to the bottom of the list.

5 Append the following set of switches to the end of the newly copied line:

/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

6 Change the description in quotation marks to "Windows XP Safe Mode" and then save the file.

Gaz 25 20:55 26 Mar 03

When in normal mode?

Also, I have a question, when I logged in in safe mode there was lots of users, Unknown, Unknown, Administrator, ME, Guest, all except me logged in without any password, however I have applied passwords to all.

Why was this so?

PhilipH 21:56 26 Mar 03

No, the security tab is only available when running in Safe Mode.

Not sure on extra user accounts mine only shows my own account and administrator, but you could if the guest account is enabled.

Gaz 25 16:07 27 Mar 03

Shall I delete the other 'unknown users'?

PhilipH 21:36 27 Mar 03

You should be able to delete any unused accounts as long as you leave the Administrator account.

Gaz 25 22:18 27 Mar 03

But yes I have deleted them no Probs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now