XP Home restore points

Sapins 09:23 30 Apr 04

I have restore turned off and run GoBack. Does XP keep the restore points even when you run defrag as GoBack wipes out the history and you cannot go back to any point after defragging. I have to double check that I will not want to go back to a previous point and sometimes I am not sure if I will want to or not.

JayDay 09:29 30 Apr 04

As far as I know defragging does not wipe out the restore point history

Stuartli 09:29 30 Apr 04

I defrag about once a month and the XP Pro restore points are retained.

If you are in any doubt you can create your own restore point before, for instance, uninstalling or installing new hardware or software.

You can also undo a restoration if required.

Sapins 09:37 30 Apr 04

Hi JayDay and Stuartli, thanks for your replies, it looks like It will be ok to uninstall GoBack and use XP Restore. I need to do a defrag so I'll set it up to do it in the early hours of tomorrow, that's up till 9am.:-))

Newuser2193 10:05 30 Apr 04

As an aside I had a problem in that I had lost all my restore points in XP. On investigating I discovered that this was because I had enabled system restore on a USB Storage device I have. I found that if a drive has I think, less than 50 MB free system restore does not work. This would not usually be a problem with a hard drive but of course a USB flash memory is smaller and you are not warned what is happening.

Sapins 10:09 30 Apr 04

Thanks for the tip Newuser2193, I will make sure I enable it to use the hard drive.

Stuartli 10:15 30 Apr 04

Apparently System Restore needs at least 200MB of free disk space; when you install XP System Restore is allowed 12 per cent of HDD space by default providing this represents at least 200MB.

By assessing System Properties, clicking the System Restore tab and then the Settings button, you can adjust the slider on the HDD tab indicating the total disk space System Restore has been allowed to use.

You can raise or lower the total by sliding the bar but must provide the minimum of 200MB of space - allowing the default 12 per cent ensures that SR functions to full ability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…