XP Home Restarts and/or CTD During Game Play.

Blitzer 15:35 09 Apr 04

Pretty much as the title of this thread suggests I've been having difficulties with my Window XP Home edtion PC.

The random restarts seem to be more frequent when playing games but have also occured on a couple of occasions when using the PC for more mundane purposes. Naturally the crashes back to the desktop relate to gaming only.

I run Norton Internet security 2003 on the system and keep this upto date at all times. I don't use this machine at all for e-mail and it only sees the occasional use for web access. Hence I'm 99% certain the problem is not being caused by a virus infection.

I've tried things like installing newer graphics card drivers having previous removed the old drivers (firewall and anti-virus disabled) and then re-installing DirectX 9.0b again. System restore is also disabled as I prefer to use Norton Ghost 2003.

Naturally several things have been changed over a period of months and I honestly cannot recall when the problems started to happen and certainly don't recall having changed anything after which the problems seem to have started.

I'm now getting to the point where I am considering re-installing Windows from scratch but, before I do this I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on things I could try before doing so?

Oh Should have pointed out that after upgrading my case to a rather nice Coolermaster case (4 fans and well ventilated) that I was overclocking the processor for a while, running an AthlonXP 2500 Barton so it was being recognised as a 2800. This was still running at a lower temperature than the processor was at it's native speed in the previous case. The processor has been set at its default speed for sometime now and the problems still arise.

Machine spec:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, AthlonXP 2500 Barton, 1 Gig Samsung DDR 333 ram, Sapphire 9500 Pro (4.3 Catalyst drivers), TruePower 430 Watt PSU, Coolermaster Case (4 fans), 2 x 80 gig Seagate Barracuda HDs, 1 x Sony DVD, 1 x LG CDRW, Logitech MX700 mouse, Logitech keyboard, Wacom Tablet & Pen, Windows XP home edition.

Any suggestions much appreciated, I'm pretty certain it's going to be a driver/software issue, but I'm just not sure what to try next before re-installing windows. :-s

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:44 09 Apr 04

All games or just certain ones? DX9b is a bit buggy for games unless your graffix card trulley supports it another reason could be the sound card drivers most people overlook those in game crashes but 50% of the time it can be those,and you have said you overclocked the CPU this could also be a factor even tho its not running really hot it could still have strained it running faster than it should.

Regards.

Blitzer 01:07 13 Apr 04

Cheers  ÑÌÇKÑÂMË

<bump> anyone else? :(

hugh-265156 01:18 13 Apr 04

troubleshooting xp restarts crashes and start up problems click here

to stop restarts and get a useful error displayed that may help to find the problem click:

start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings untick "automatically restart"

now when you get a crash an error will be displayed on the screen,note this down and you may find a fix if you type the error no.into the search Kb box top left click here

Blitzer 01:24 13 Apr 04

huggyg71,

Thanks for that, I've just turned the automaticlaly restart feature off and will see how it goes. ;-)

simonp1 07:58 13 Apr 04

i have the same problem with my new pc....it was faulty ram..and it only really happened when playing games...

If you can, borrow some ram other than what u have and see what happens.

As for heat, you can download the free asus probe from the asus site. This will tell you the heat in your pc..

My 2.5 barton is running at 3.00 with some extra cooling so i guess heat shouldnt be the issue here unless you increased the voltage to much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…