XP Home purchase help please

golfpro 12:56 26 Aug 06

I live in Austria, and would like to install an English version of XP Home on my new PC which at the moment has a German version of XP installed.
I will probably purchase this through Amazon (unless somebody has a better idea). The problem is, I did this four years ago, from a local shop who have since been taken over, but they installed an OEM disc which can't be reinstalled on my new computer. Trying to get one here is impossible.
My question is, how can I be sure that the program disc I order is an original MS disc which, if anything goes wrong and I have to change my PC again, I can reinstall the program with no problems.

James. 13:04 26 Aug 06

Make sure you purchase the full retail version, and not an OEM version.

€dstowe 13:07 26 Aug 06

If you buy from a reputable supplier (which Amazon most certainly is) then there should be no problem in the copy of Windows that is supplied is genuine.

If you are in any doubt, keep all the details of the transaction so that if anything untoward happens, you have proof of purchase.

The genuineness of your Windows will quickly be made apparent as soon as you activate it.

golfpro 14:52 26 Aug 06

Amazon are curently advertizing this.

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 (No Operating System, Windows 98 / Me / NT / XP)

Buy new: £176.99 £170.99 In stock
Used & new from £79.99
You save: £6.00 (3%)

Is this what I want????

golfpro 14:56 26 Aug 06

I should have said that I will want to do a clean install over the German version of XP.

Fingees 15:06 26 Aug 06

If you contact Microsoft on their free helpline, they may even supply you with and english version at cost, if you explain.

It's worth a try, as I have found them extremely helpful over the years.

All the best.

Noldi 15:14 26 Aug 06

In Switzerland I have had no problem getting English versions of XP Home

click here

Noldi

Noldi 15:14 26 Aug 06

computers Austria

Noldi 15:25 26 Aug 06

sorry thought I was on Google
If you are stuck let us know what area of Austria you are in and I will get you a copy

golfpro 18:52 26 Aug 06

Noldi.

Thanks for the offer, but if you look at the OS software list on the web site you will see that it's ALL OEM, I can get that in Austria, (I already have an OEM English disc which I can't use again) I don't want to do that again, its money just wasted if you have to change your computer for any reason.

Noldi 20:46 26 Aug 06

I got my sons XP pro full version from Steg did not come with a machine.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…