xp home to prof upgrade-mess

MichelleC 16:55 05 Jan 04

My bro has rung to say he's upgrading from xp home to prof but it's caught in a loop of constant rebooting. he's only got 1 partition (I know!) and his local shop has fitted a raid (in a effort to speed up pc and zipdrive). Is it best to boot from new xp disc and format/partition and if so how? Is the raid anything to do with rebooting and can it be disabled in bios? Any other ideas?

LeadingMNMs 16:56 05 Jan 04

Has he used an upgrade disk or the full version of XP pro.

MichelleC 17:05 05 Jan 04

That was quick. It's an upgrade unfortuately.

Djohn 17:17 05 Jan 04

The upgrade is exactly the same as the full version, just that it requires you to insert your qualifying CD for checking during the install.

Boot from the upgrade CD and format and install as normal, You will be asked to press any key to install.

[Do this the first time only!]

The PC will reboot two more times during the install, But ignore the message to "Press any key" Let windows reboot by itself from the hard drive. otherwise you will be caught in an endless loop of rebooting. It sounds like this has happened.

duckers 17:27 05 Jan 04

It sounds like your local shop has done some pretty unecessary stuff if they've set up a raid controller and disk array in an attempt to speed up his PC and ZIP drive!!!!
RAID is everything to do with rebooting as it controlls the interface to hard disks and how they work together/boot/everything.
Did it boot when he got it back from the shop? I would be surprised if it did by the sound of things.
You can disable RAID in the BIOS but it all depends what BIOS it is as to how you do it, and also how the RAID disk array is configured.
RAID is far too complicated to go into here and I think the best way forward would be to go back to the shop, ask what they have done and why, then your next step will probably be to try and reinstall from scratch.

MichelleC 18:10 05 Jan 04

Thanks guys. I've talked him thro how to boot from disc etc and now he's going to use recovery disc (the hidden partition trick they like to do nowadays) which will go back to factory settings.

He said he tried to do the upgrade thro windows and not dos (maybe this mucked up things). But I suspect it's the raid config. I'll let you know. Cheers.

MichelleC 19:22 06 Jan 04

He's now up and running, having booted from recovery disc, gone back to factory settings, and upgraded to prof. I think he must have tried to upgrade via xp and not dos and it got caught up in a loop. He's got most M$ updates but can't get SP1; a error says 'registration is invalid' or similar. Is there a registry fix (or could it be that at £30 the xp prof upgrade was not a registered copy?)

leo49 19:45 06 Jan 04

There is a M$ KB on the "invalid error" occurring even with legitimate upgrades - I'll have look for it.

leo49 19:54 06 Jan 04

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 326904

Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid

concerns how to determine if the Product key is kosher.

Can't find the one I remember seeing about legit copies being wrongly flagged.

MichelleC 08:45 07 Jan 04

Thanks for that. I've given him the M$ article and I think I'll leave it up to him now. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…