XP Home problems

GBL 22:00 PM 18 Oct 11

I have replaced the HDD in my daughters PC and used the provided Restore CD to reinstall Win XP Home, I have installed the service packs up to and inc 3. I keep getting two errors which as a result I cannot get internet. The first is the error; RPC server unavailable, the second is COM+ error code 0x80040206 What can I do to rectify these??

northumbria61 22:07 PM 18 Oct 11

The RPC problem - check in SERVICES - you should have 2 entries relating to Remote Procedure - make sure they are running - if not Restart.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 PM 18 Oct 11

com + problems

RPC is usually due to a dependency service not started

Start - run - type

Scroll down to RPC service and right click select properties and look at the dependent services check they are all started and set to at least manual if not automatic.

northumbria61 22:11 PM 18 Oct 11

The same may apply to SERVICES - look for DCOM Server Process Launcher and Restart the Service.

GBL 22:14 PM 18 Oct 11

The first shows, Started the other is blank and both are set to Auto

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 PM 18 Oct 11

Check all your services against this site

GBL 22:32 PM 18 Oct 11

I seem to have sorted it after installing and running Registry Mechanic. Thanks

northumbria61 23:07 PM 18 Oct 11

I am pleased to hear it is sorted. I am not keen on running Registry cleaners and I gave up on Registry Mechanic years ago but if it has "done the trick" that's all that matters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…