xp home problems

JacquelineTheCat 18:36 26 Feb 04

Everything working ok, windows updates automatically. Suddenly I cannot remove any programs - I get the message 'cyclic redundancy check.

Also, when I open internet explorer windows installer tries to install microsoft money. This also happens if I try to open a second internet explorer window.

Any ideas anyone? Please explain in simple terms!
Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 18:40 26 Feb 04

Try this:

start

run

sfc /scannow

Click Run.

woodchip 18:42 26 Feb 04

Yes one of the updates more than likely as done it

JacquelineTheCat 19:53 26 Feb 04

Tried your suggestion and nothing happened, after I ran sfc /scannow it just disappeared. I presume that means everything is ok.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JacquelineTheCat 19:55 26 Feb 04

Would it be safe to delete all the updates. I almost did this, but it told me that numerous programs would not work correctly if I did.

JacquelineTheCat 19:57 26 Feb 04

Also, my norton virus checker now gets stuck on the logitech/mouseware file. I've tried to get rid of the infra-red keyboard and mouse (it interferes with the baby monitor) but a couple of the files refuse to be deleted due to cyclic redundancy check.

powerless 20:06 26 Feb 04

"Tried your suggestion and nothing happened, after I ran sfc /scannow it just disappeared. I presume that means everything is ok.
Thanks for the suggestion."

Nope just means SFC has finished, look in event viewer for a report on SFC.

Start/Run

eventvwr.msc

[Enter]

System, look for "Windows File Protection" if there are two entries, SFC, started and finshed. If there are any more it did something...

System Restore?

woodchip 22:22 26 Feb 04

You should have the updates in Add Remove. it should be OK to remove from there. But have you tried a restore point assuming you are on XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…