XP Home Owner change?

igk 16:13 03 Feb 04

Hi All, I have just purchased a 2nd hand pc with winxp home, short of restoring to factory is there a way of changing the previous owners details (owners name in my computer properties and owners folder and associated system folders relating to owner)This is a genuine enquiry pc purchased at auction (bailiffs sale)thanks.

ventanas 16:28 03 Feb 04

I would still be inclined to wipe it clean and start again with a fresh installation. You don't know what might be lurking on the machine.

Chris the Ancient 18:43 03 Feb 04

Only just got in and just caught the thread - I hope I'm not too late.

It may be able to be done.

There is a tweak here that will change ownership, just down the page on the right.

I have NOT tried it, so can't vouch for it!

click here

HTH

Chris

JerryJay 18:51 03 Feb 04

Maybe you do not need to do tweak, Go to Control Panel, Cilck System, from there, you can find an item something like machine etc, just click a few thing to figure out. Sorry I cannot be more specific because I left my WinXp Home machine at home and I am typing this on a Win2K machine, but I change owner details on two WinXP home machines before and I am sure it can be down without any tweak software. If I were you, I would do a clean instal to get ride anything left by previous owner. Actually, it is not easy to get ride of all traces of previous owner/user unless you do a complete clean reinstall.

Chris the Ancient 19:00 03 Feb 04

JerryJay's last suggestion is, of course the very best!

Did you get the legit XP disc when you got the pc?

If you have all the disks a fresh install = no surprises

igk 21:35 03 Feb 04

Thanks to all who posted,esp Chris the tweak worked fine and changed the prev owner and org (when doing a prop on my computer)and thanks to JerryJay your solution changed the prev owners computer name,what I then did was to create another admin account and then delete the old one and all its associated bits! Once again thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017