XP Home over XP Professional, Any Advantages?

JerryJay 12:05 22 Dec 03

Are there any advantages of XP Home over XP Professional?

powerless 12:09 22 Dec 03

click here

click here

So the answer is yes.

Wheather you will benefit from the dfferences depends upon the setup you want.

leo49 12:19 22 Dec 03

I would have thought the advantages are the other way round - Pro is obviously superior to Home.

The only advantage for Home is that it's cheaper

JerryJay 12:27 22 Dec 03

Thanks for the reply. My question was right. I got a laptop with XP home installed, but I messed up with the intalled OS and recovery does not work and no OS CD with the machine. I have a WinXP Pro. which I have a licence for it. If XP Home has no advantages over XP Pro, I am not going to phone the manufacturing for tech support.

leo49 12:52 22 Dec 03

Aagh,I see,sorry - misguessed your reason for enquiring. Pro's far more configurable and preferable to work with.

Stuartli 13:17 22 Dec 03

You mean the other way round - XP Pro offers greater security and networking facilities, especially for businesses.

If you have no need for networking then XP Home will be fine.

Here's Microsoft's own explanation of the four XP variants:

click here

Stuartli 13:20 22 Dec 03

This is MS's query to potential users which is better for you, Home or XP?

click here

JerryJay 15:04 22 Dec 03

I understand that Pro has some features Home does not have. My question is that is there any advantages of Home over Pro. My assumption is extra features normally require extra power, so is it possible Home is "faster (even marginly" than Pro? Another issue is that the compitability especially for some games. Security normally means restriction, so it may be poosible Home is more compitable than Pro because restriction enforced by security.

JerryJay 22:33 22 Dec 03

Anyone has any answer?

Stuartli 12:46 24 Dec 03

You've actually been given the answer...:-))

I use XP Pro and anything that Home does it will do as well - it also has additional benefits which you may, or may not, require.

The information on these additional benefits can be seen in the links provided.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…