XP Home OEM - help!

chugby 00:46 28 Feb 05

just been looking at various threads on this and driving me up the wall!! Was looking to install Microsoft Windows Xp Home SP2 OEM -Single Pack
from ebuyer click here

My first PC didnt come with the origional OpSys disk so assume this was OEM.
Was going to buy the Ebuyer WInXp Home, being cheaper than the PC retailers, but after reading further not sure what is the right move.
Appreciate OEM doesnt get Tech Assistance, and assume will not get a COA with this Ebuyer's either, and will not be transferable to another computer.

Just need to know (and some reassurance)
that the Ebuyer version will be valid for registration with a new computer and will be able to get critical updates etc or should I purchase WinXP with the computer?
thanks

chugby 00:52 28 Feb 05

...just to clarify this will be for a second new computer

hugh-265156 00:55 28 Feb 05

the OEM version is exactly the same as the retail version but is only supposed to be purchased with hardware (a case fan will do)

it will activate just fine.

Belatucadrus 00:57 28 Feb 05

You do get a COA with an OEM copy, it comes in the form of a small sticker to put on the case of the relevant machine.

joeltr 10:52 28 Feb 05

sorry to hijack your thread, but what does OEM & COA stand for, joel.

Belatucadrus 11:46 28 Feb 05

Certificate Of Authenticity. In this case Microsoft's proof that it's a genuine XP copy. OEM documentation is limited and the certificate is in the form of a small sticker.

and

Original Equipment Manufacturer. In this case it means that warranty support is not provided by Microsoft, but whoever installed the Operating system, this usually means the PC manufacturer but if you buy an OEM copy for your own use, you assume those all responsibilities yourself. Microsoft used to monitor distribution of OEM software very closely, but they seem to have given up on that and it's now very easy to get via retailers like ebuyer.

joeltr 14:04 28 Feb 05

thanks for that, joel.

stanville 15:11 28 Feb 05

I am having trougle getting into certain applications on my computer. Ikeep getting error messages from dr watson debugging postmortem how can i solve this problem

SEASHANTY 16:55 28 Feb 05

Microsoft must really have relaxed their regulations if you can purchase the OEM copy of XP with just a case fan. When I purchased the OEM version two or three years ago it had to be a substantial piece of hardware. i.e. A new motherboard, processor or Hard drive and certainly a complete new computer would do the trick but you would have to purchase the copy from the same outlet.

ventanas 17:14 28 Feb 05

I think it a case of "if you can't beat them" a mouse is apparantly good enought now. But it must be remembered that if that mouse fails, and you have to replace it, you must remove that OEM copy of Windows and purchase a new copy (retail, not OEM). I wonder how many do.

But this does not mean they have changed the (confusing) rules on OEM, and when validation for updates comes in later this year I think quite a few people will get a bit of a surprise.

Just for the record chugby the OEM copy you are proposing to buy will probably be illegal. I do not believe ebuyer to be certified by Microsoft as system builders. Therefore they cannot sell OEM, despite the fact that they mention the rules on buying a qualifying piece of hardware at the same time.

chugby 20:16 28 Feb 05

thanks to all for clarifying this, not initially easy to get your head around this one but clear now.

went for the xp pro in the end with the obligatory mouse, makes you laugh!

(stanville, did you post in error? If still having still problems best to start new thread with details of error messages)

regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…