XP Home with NTFS and FAT32

Gemma 11:12 01 Sep 03

Is it possible to access a slave hard disk formatted FAT32 within an XP Home system (NTFS)(
I need to recover data from a FAT32 drive). Explorer recognises the drive but declares it to be unformatted. The drive contains a W98 R1 system and data.
I have tried CONVERT.EXE from the command prompt with the response "can't convert RAW format to NTFS". This is odd as the MS site suggests that it is possible to convert any FAT volume as long as it is not mounted. Maybe the fact that it is bootable is confusing something.
Internet searches suggest that XP Home will only support NTFS but someone might know better!

An alternative is to boot from the W98 drive and write the data to CD (W98 can't see NTFS) but that means a lot more fiddling and a lot of CD's.

Thanks

Gemma 14:04 01 Sep 03

I knew this wasn't easy...

BurrWalnut 15:03 01 Sep 03

I have HDD0 C=NTFS (WinXP), D=FATS32 and HDD1 G=FATS32 (old Win98SE), H=FATS32 and I=FATS32 and have no problems copy data between them, E and F are DVD and CDRW. HDD0 is the master and HDD1 is the slave.

In the event that XP goes down I would boot Win98SE (removing the XP disk) after making it the master.

When I first set this up I did get Event Viewer errors 5 and 11 but a couple of safe boots cleared it.

I hope this helps.

sil_ver 15:15 01 Sep 03

NTFS can read FAT32 but not the reverse.

BurrWalnut 15:39 01 Sep 03

So booting to XP, Gemma should be able to read and write the FAT32 partition(s) as I do.

Gemma 15:59 01 Sep 03

BurrWalnut
You have 2 drives: Bootdrive with two partitions (c: as NTFS, d: as FAT32). Slave drive with three partitions (bootable g: FAT32 W98 h: FAT32 i: FAT32).

I have an NTFS single partition boot drive with XP Home and a single partition FAT32 bootable slave with W98R1.

Questions? Are you XP Home or XP Pro? Was the boot drive partitioned before you installed XP?

Rayuk 16:08 01 Sep 03

Have you tried putting the fat32 drive on secondary ide as master see if it makes a difference.

You cant convert it to ntfs with Win98 on as far as I am aware.

BurrWalnut 16:12 01 Sep 03

Gemma

I'm XP home. Originally had 98SE on C and data on D. I formatted C to FAT32 but at the start of installing XP decided to go the NTFS route, i.e. reformat again.

During the installation the other drive was empty. It was only once I got M/S XP downloads up to date that I installed the slave drive. If I remember correctly, I received the "Win has found new hard...." message and installed the new drive with 3 FAT32 partitions.

Why not try booting the XP drive on its own, closing down and switching off, then insert the other drive and see what happens. It took me a couple of boots in safe mode to get rid of the errors.

sil_ver 16:18 01 Sep 03

Probably a bit late now but you would have minimised your effort if you had installed 98SE on C: and then installed XP from there to the partition of choice, it would have created a dual boot system.

Gemma 16:20 01 Sep 03

Some things to try there (or I can paint the wardrobe)...I'll check back in tomorrow. Thanks so far.

BurrWalnut 16:30 01 Sep 03

One other thing has just sprung to mind.

When I was getting the Event 5/11 errors (it's all coming back to me now, I also had "Unmountable Boot Vol" errors). I alternately booted XP and 98SE as masters keeping the BIOS as HDD0. Then I put the second drive in as slave and everything worked fine. I now have a good alternative OS (not dual boot) and 2 other partitions for data/copies.

Try these combinations, I'm sure you'll get there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…