XP Home and Norton Antivirus 2005 and no POP3

NikolaiVronsky 15:57 25 Sep 05

Just installed a new Dell PC for a friend.

Problem is that, while Webmail works okay into Blueyonder, MS Outlook Express cannot connect to the POP3 and SMTP servers. I have to remove Antivirus totally from the PC for Outlook Express to work. Can't just disable the antivirus and firewall as problem persists.

Coincidentally I have a similar problem on my own XP Home System, where I have had to remove Personal Firewall 2005 from the system because it stops Internet [Tiscali] access of any sort. Yet the firewall worked fine until a week or so ago.

Have Symantec or Microsoft sent any duff updates recently?

Any and all help gratefully received!

GaT7 16:08 25 Sep 05

If it's NORTON: AV, Internet Security & Pers. Firewall see 'Cannot send or receive email with regular email such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express...' click here. G

NikolaiVronsky 16:48 25 Sep 05

Many thanks for the reference. I'll check whether the solution[s] work for either or both systems, and report back.

NikolaiVronsky 19:38 25 Sep 05

The link and downloaded patch has solved the problem I had where I had to remove Norton Firewall 2005 because it blocked ALL access to the Internet. Just downloaded the patch [and some other updates], installed it, then did a clean re-install of the firewall.

Thanks! will report on my friend's system in due course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…