xp home. Nightmare, all help needed.

bta1 15:22 21 Mar 04

Recently i instlled an internal DVD + R rewriter. it came with no leads, or software. I already had a dvd rom so i just replaced it. It worked. I managed o burn a dvd using STOMP NOW, a free trial programme on a covrdisk.
Then.
After it had all been intalled and had worked a couple of times when i turned off my computer it showed me a blue screen tellng me it had dumped my physical memory and to remove any new hardware.
So removed it and put te old Rom back in.

Now windows is cnstantly crashing. It wont always read cd's, this bue screen apears every nowand again it wont let me opne some programmes, the only programme that seems to work constantly is aol.
When i clikc to open some applications it shows me the little egg timer, but the computer isn't actually doing anyting.
I have run Norton and a trojan programme tere is nothing there apparenty, i have defragged, i hae run spybot i have done everything i can possiblythink of. System restore does not work. My computer came with Xp so i cannot reinstall it as there wasn't a disk, and my bck up disk doesn't work.
I am lost andabout to throw it out of the window. Can ayone think of aything i haven;'t tried?

Rayuk 15:33 21 Mar 04

Did you by any chance nudge your memory,make sure its properly seated.

bta1 16:07 21 Mar 04

what does my memory look like and how would i know if it was properly seated?

spuds 17:34 21 Mar 04
  bretsky 17:58 21 Mar 04

Go to click here
it may help?

bretsky ;0)

Rayuk 18:06 21 Mar 04

click here
Does the pic help at all.

arricarry 18:21 21 Mar 04

Hello - I wonder if you BIOS is not detecting your hardware properly. It should autodetect hardware when you install it. Have you tried deleting your CD Rom in device manager and then rebooting. Why does your recovery disc not work?
I would remove STOMP NOW as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…