XP Home netwrok problems

talia 20:09 03 Sep 04

Hi

I am trying to network to PC running XP Home. One will be the hub with the other sharing printer, files & internet.

Connested all up using OCI network card on the hub and the onboard SIS ethernet on the other.I cannot get XP to set the network, I get the message that the hardware is not connecte or the cable is not plugged in but cable plugged in and the devices say they are working fine.

All help appreciated.....

talia 20:10 03 Sep 04

Typing error should read PCI

bremner 20:12 03 Sep 04

Are you using a crossover cable as you should or a straight RJ45?

talia 20:28 03 Sep 04

I am using a standard CAT5 RJ45 cable as I want file sharing and the slave machiune to use the internet connection on the main.

Is this wrong? I am setting up in my home office for an employee to use when I am on the main machine.

bremner 20:31 03 Sep 04

As you need to send and recive between both machines you need a crossover cable click here

talia 20:42 03 Sep 04

Ah! Ha!

I should use a crossover cable. Despite downloading all the info from microsoft they do not tell you the cable you should use

Strawballs 23:44 03 Sep 04

When you said 1 will be the hub I think that you mean gateway as a hub is what you use to connect more than 2 computers together when one is being used as a gateway.The gateway is the computer that is connected to the net and 1 other is connected using a crossover cable or a hub if multiple computers.

talia 08:33 04 Sep 04

Youare correct one will be the Gateway. One more thing do both have to be connected to the phone line or does the non-gatetway machine just dial in through the gateway???

bremner 08:42 04 Sep 04

Have a look at this click here

talia 20:46 04 Sep 04

Great site!!

many thanks

Strawballs 00:04 05 Sep 04

The gateway machine is the only one connected to the phone line and it will have to be dialed up and online all the time that you wish the other machine to access the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…