XP Home Network Problem

Edward_Winsall 13:52 31 Dec 05

I am running a laptop on wireless with windows xp home with a computer running ethernet with windows xp home. They are on a network. They connect to a hub with a seperate intenet ethernet feed from external broadband modem. They are on the same workgroup and can ping each other. Though when you try and access the PC from the laptop, access is denied is displayed. This isnt the same when accessing the laptop from the pc.

Any ideas?

mgmcc 15:41 31 Dec 05

<<< when you try and access the PC from the laptop, access is denied is displayed >>>

1) Have you set at least one folder in the PC as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option?

2) Have you configured any third-party firewall software to allow access to the networked computers?

I don't actually understand how you have them connected - it sounds as though you have them "double" networked, once for internet access (although there appears not to be a router) and again for file sharing ????

Edward_Winsall 16:32 31 Dec 05

I will try and explain more clearly.

I have a Wanadoo Livebox which acts as a router aswell as a modem. The computer is connected via ethernet to this box and the laptop is through wirless. Internet comes from the Livebox and is routed to both machines. I didnt select internet connection sharing.

I ran the XP setup wizard, and set them up so i havnt changed the IP addresses of both machines.
They both appear on the workgroup.

Laptop cannot access PC
PC can access Laptop

Does this help and what should i do?

mgmcc 19:20 31 Dec 05

OK so the connection is conventional and the questions I originally asked apply.

Check that you do actually have at least one folder set as "shared" in the PC. Its icon should have the hand beneath it to indicate it is shared.

Also make sure that you don't have firewall software in the PC blocking access from the laptop - this is the most common reason for being unable to access a remote computer over the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…