XP Home Laptop Not Booting

Dumfy 19:33 28 Aug 05

Hi All

My Laptop is running XP Home and is having trouble with boot up and keeps crashing back to the Last Known Good Configuration Menu/Safe mode screen. Selecting each option there doesn’t work and I go around in a loop.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio and only came with a recovery disk – not XP Home on it’s own and to use that would mean dumping everything and starting over which I don’t want to do.

I have managed at times to get into the laptop and it then runs OK which leads me to think the boot sequence/MBR is somehow corrupt. What I would like to use is XP’s Recovery Console which I have on my XP Professional disk that’s installed on the PC at home.
However, when I boot with this in the laptop, it asks me for the administrators password which I’ve never set up – either on the PC or the laptop. It gives me three attempts and bombs me out. Is it possible to get around this unknown password? Sometimes, then, after this, the laptop will boot.

Is there a way I can use fixboot/fixmbr other than with the Recovery Console? At the moment, the laptop is “hibernated” and will load from this.

Best Regards

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 28 Aug 05

Just press enter when asked for admin password.

AndySD 20:23 28 Aug 05

It sounds much more like a driver or program error than mbr problem.

My first thought would be to check in the Control Panel then Admin Tools and Logs to see if you can see an obvious error and if its a driver then rinstall/update the driver.

If not then try System Restore.

Dumfy 20:39 28 Aug 05

Thanks guys

Fruit Bat /\0/That's the first thing I tried, bit the laptop is expecting a password.

For some reason, my restore points have also disappeared and I don't know why. I'll have a look at the Admin Tools and logs as you suggested, but could a driver/software install cause this not to boot as it only seems to have happened after I left the the said laptop on overnight last week.

Thanks again

Dumfy 23:10 28 Aug 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…