XP Home - Installing previously purchased software

Big Big C 17:49 08 Jan 04

I went to PC World today to spend a grand on a new PC, but was put off by the sales assistant who told me that I would not be able to install and run any of the Microsoft programmes and games that I had previously purchased. This is because XP sends details of all of the programs on your PC to MS every time you go online and they would know that you had previously registered it on your old PC.

Said I would need to purchase new copies of software!!

Just a sales ploy??

leo49 17:50 08 Jan 04

Absolute balderdash and poppycock.

beeuuem 17:52 08 Jan 04

I'm only going to watch the comments added to this thread ;-)

bfc_tangerine 17:52 08 Jan 04

agree, utter utter rubbish and i am sure trading standards would be very interested to hear that!

spikeychris 18:00 08 Jan 04

So your sure then are you leo49?

Trackrat 18:04 08 Jan 04

How do you earn extra commision, tell the customer the old stuff will not work and sell them some new programmes. Even if you can not run these programmes in xp you can use a compatability mode to run it.
So ignore the sales assistant, she is just after extra commision.

bremner 18:06 08 Jan 04

I just can't believe a highly trained member of staff at PC World would say such a thing - surely you must be mistaken ;-)

Djohn 18:10 08 Jan 04

Your existing software will install and run fine without any problems from Microsoft. Your only concern need be that your software is compatible with the O/S that is on your new PC.

Morpheus? 18:13 08 Jan 04

do we really expect anything else from P.C.World.

Diodorus Siculus 18:18 08 Jan 04

What programs have you that you want to install again? What was your previous OS? More than likely any will work anyway.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:28 08 Jan 04

"a highly trained member of staff at PC World"
now thats balderdash and poppycock lol.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…