XP Home - 'Help & Support' doesn't work

EmptyJay 11:55 09 May 04

I've bought a new pc using XP Home, and the 'Help and Support' link on the Start menu won't work.

dublincity 12:13 09 May 04

Hi. I received the following useful reply yesterday to a question about a very similsr problem:-

Try the system file checker start run sfc /scannow You will need the XP CD.

[I'm on Win XP Pro. When I click 'Start', then 'Help and Support' on the menu, I get nothing. Once (only) I got a message box saying something like 'can't be found - .dll missing'. Nor can I get to 'Help' via any other route. Recently, when doing a routine uninstall, I stupidly clicked 'Yes' when it said (roughly), ' ...... this is a shared file but is not being used by any other program. Do you want to delete' etc. Does anybody know if I can sort this problem out? Many thanks, Mike.]

alnwrd 16:08 09 May 04

see if help and support is turned off. click start,run, services.msc. This gives a list of applications which run on your pc and each one can be made to run automatically,manually, or disabled. Double click help and support and make sure it is not disabled.

Eastender 16:16 09 May 04

Are you getting any error messages?

Have you used Easy Cleaner?

Have a look at this click here

Stuartli 16:23 09 May 04
  Stuartli 16:25 09 May 04

But alnwrd's tip is probably easiest to implement...:-)

dublincity 16:29 10 May 04

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a try & get back later. Mike.

AcidBurn7uk 17:29 10 May 04

Help & Support? Now, don't you trust the advice of the forum members here? Good to see you having a crack at it yourself though. I once had a similar problem. I would click the Help & Support and NOTHING would happen, then it would say about some DLL being missing. It all just seemed to sort itself out though, I think, can't remember to well.

Stuartli 17:58 10 May 04

You have to key in what you are wishing to find out about in Help and Support. Clicking it won't produce any results..:-)

Microsoft has always provided remarkably comprehensive Help files for every program and application it has produced. Help and Support maintains the sequence and more.

In fact probably 95 per cent of all questions about such products or Windows itself could be answered from the Help files.

But I sometimes get the impression that some people can't be bothered to try them first - or alternatively the magnificent search engine we all know and love as google - preferring to post a thread here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…