xp home hangs / crashes when using emulators

steve1027 09:37 15 Jul 04

Hi

I regularly use a variety of emulators on my pc, and lately it has been suffering some quite severe crashes and hangs, sometimes requiring the system recovery console to get it back up and running. Motherboard is an ASUS A78X Deluxe, processor AMD Athlon 2600+, 2x256 ddr. Ive run scan disk, defragged the hard drive, used registry mechanic, crap cleaner, tune up utilities, spybot, adaware, spywareblaster, switched off any non-system startup programmes - all to no avail- it just keeps on hanging. I appreciate that emulators aren't always the most reliable pieces of software, but it strikes me as odd that the PC should behave this way regardless of what emulator has been used. Also, while this mainly occurs while using these emulators, it will sometimes hang without my having used them. The other odd thing is that whenever it crashes or hangs, the computer always tries to access the floppy drive - even when the drive has been disabled in device manager. I'm running WinUAE, Klive, Gens, ZSnes, VICE emulators. Has anyone had a similar problem to this before, or have any ideas how to diagnose / deal with it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…