XP Home freezes on startup on MESH computer

mx5user 00:30 09 Oct 04

My MESH computer freezes on startup when it gets to the point where it says 'press F10 for recovery'
The operating system is XP Home. I cannot get into safe mode either.
I have had this problem since pressing F10 to go to recovery following a partition change.
I spoke to MESH and they said to use the recoevry disk. This takes me through to XP install, but then it crashes to a bsod with an error message saying that there is a problem with a setup file.
Can I recover from this without having to reformat and reinstall?

Diodorus Siculus 08:09 09 Oct 04

Do you have an XP CD? If so, you may be able to do a repair with it.

Otherwise, a reformat and reinstall may be the solution. But it will depend on what partition changes you have made, and how.

georgemac 08:14 09 Oct 04

if it were me I would consider testing my memory to start with then possible the hard drive.

These tests can be doen from floppy disk but I guess you will not have a floppy drive?

memtest can now be downloaded to make a bootable cd rom which will test your memory click here

click here you can also download a hitachi drive test utility which should be able to test any hard drive (I have not used this) again you can download an image file to make a bootable cd-rom.

I assume your pc is still under warranty? But mesh will not be too interested at the moment as the problems started after a partition change made by you and the warranty only covers hardware?

When I have had problems with crashes on windows install - twice - it has been down to failed memory once and the second time required a motherboard change.

mx5user 21:42 09 Oct 04

I also have an XP CD which I have also tried and it did not take me any further.
My MESH is 6 weeks old, and the problem started when I pressed the F10 recovery key as per MESH instructions in the operating guide.
The MESH technician was confident the MESH recovery CD would work and I have not had chance to get back to the helpline since.
I will try the memory test although I feel the problem is software related rather than hardware

OwenLotts 21:50 09 Oct 04

"then it crashes to a bsod with an error message saying that there is a problem with a setup file."

Go on! Don't keep us waiting! Telling us WHICH file might be a great help.....

mx5user 13:14 10 Oct 04

On asking XP to install the following error message comes up on a bsod.
error in 'setupdd.sys'
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Address F84C7E4C
base at F84A3000
datestamp 3b7d8507

This means nothing to me - I dont know if it means anything to anyone on the forum?

georgemac 14:21 10 Oct 04

click here may give a clue - memory error

click here

a call or email to mesh required?

georgemac 14:31 10 Oct 04
  georgemac 14:41 10 Oct 04

Cause

This error is usually caused by the installation of faulty hardware or by failure of installed hardware - usually defective RAM, Level 2 Cache or Video RAM. Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service or the corruption of an existing system service. Antivirus software can occasionally trigger this error, as can a corrupt NTFS volume.

Resolving the problem

Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

really best left to Mesh I think - you are still under warranty? The only problem may be that it is a corrupted NTFS (hard disk file system) caused when you have altered the partition table.

I don't know how to do this, but you may need to make an xp boot floppy or cd rom which will allow you to run chkdsk and format your hard drive.

mx5user 22:53 11 Oct 04

I have tried a number of suggestions but with no luck so far - thanks for the ideas.I spoke to MESH again today and they were a bit stumped and are sending out a disk so that I can format the hard drive and reinstall XP and the drivers.
I will let you know how this goes.

mx5user 22:53 11 Oct 04

I have tried a number of suggestions but with no luck so far - thanks for the ideas.I spoke to MESH again today and they were a bit stumped and are sending out a disk so that I can format the hard drive and reinstall XP and the drivers.
I will let you know how this goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…