XP Home error messages, Microsoft report sending?

HAYESBOY 07:17 07 Oct 03

I keep getting error messages in Xp Home. At first it was when i was running games, but now i am finding that Internet Explorer and Microsoft Management Console are getting them as well. I also get the odd computer restart.
The message is something like, IE has detected and error and must close down. It goes on to say that i can send an error report to Microsoft. When i do send a report it sometimes directs me to a site that tells me that a device driver is at fault but it cant tell me which one.
I have gone through all the drivers and cannot find anything wrong with them. I have an error log the size of your arm.
My computer supplier is sending a replacement stick of ram, as they think it might be a memory problem or if not that then reinstall windows.
Computer spec is, P4 2.66GHZ ASUS 9520 FX5200 120mb 40GB INTEL 865PE.
I have downloaded all the latest updates and drivers for all the above.

Has anyone come across these sort of messages, and if so did you have a remedy?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Lozzy 07:24 07 Oct 03

I would try 2 things..

1. Click on start>>Run then type sfc /scannow (note the space between the C and /) make sure you have the XP CD in the Rom.

if that does not do the trick

2. try running IE Repair.. By way of Control Panel add/remove progs then high light IE click Repair.

HAYESBOY 09:32 07 Oct 03

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to repair XP in the BIOS option, but it asked me for the administrator password and i wasnt aware that there was one.
I will try the first option when i get home.
Thanks again.

handful 10:29 07 Oct 03

HAYESBOY
There won't be a password unless you set one up. Just continue without entering and you should be ok.

HAYESBOY 10:37 07 Oct 03

I have a password for me as the owner, but it asked for am administrater password. I put my password in three times and then it would not let me try again. The old three stikes and youre out.
I will try Lozzy's suggestion tonight when i get in.
Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…