XP Home Edition Help & Support Centre

Tugum 15:25 19 Feb 06

After slogging away for 3 weeks to do a clean installation & downloading all of the updates for Windows XP Home Edition & foolishly thinking that I had at last succeeded I came across the following problems using the Help & Support Centre:
1. When I select Advanced System Info & My Computer Info the process starts to collect the info but then gives the error message 'No such interface supported'. No Error Number is given.
2. When I select Network Diagnostics I get the error message 'WMI Error'. No error number is given.
As I had to contact MS to complete my last re-installation (exceeded the number of times I could install XP) I'm praying that there is an easy fix for these problems& any help would be appreciated.

remind 16:31 19 Feb 06

Look in device manager for red or yellow warnings, disable or re-install problem devices, or disable any network interfaces/hardware, try the steps you mentioned and see if it gets further.
look in the event log for errors that may give you more info, easiest to generate the error deliberately, then load eventviewer so you can match the time(s)
Press Windows+R, type eventvwr.msc

Tugum 18:41 19 Feb 06

No problems in Device Manager. I still got the same errors after disabling my network interface.
When I looked in the Event Log (What a steep learning curve!) most of the errors related to the failures that I had during the re-installation & updating of XP. The only errors, which occurred several times, that I thought might be applicable were in the Application folder:
1. The Windows Security Centre Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

2. The Windows Security Centre was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor service start/stop.

I used the MS link for all of the errors, but there were no solutions available.

I disabling my network interface & Anti Virus software but still got the same errors. I restarted & looked in the Event Log & these errors were recorded for this start up.

Don’t know if you’ll be able to help any further, but many thanks for putting me wise to the Event Log.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…