xp home edition format/reinstall

pookie 13:04 25 Jul 03

Hi

Ecs k7 s5a mobo (which shop recently put in new bios to take 2.4 athlon xp), windows xp home edition, 768 MB pc2100 ddr ram, creative digital 4.1 soundcard, sapphire 9700 pro (I recently installed sis735 agp driver update) hard drive 40Gb is FAT32 (this was from windows 98se upgrade to xp). My registry is full of items that I can't understand.

I believe that a format and reinstall of xp doesn?t affect the recent bios update done. I?ve backed up drivers and noted software installed. So format as normal and install as ntfl type. Install motherboard drivers, install latest sis735 agp driver, install direct x 9.0a, install ati catalyst and control panel, monitor drivers and remaining drivers. Is it that simple? Will change hard disk to ntfl type change anything for worse? Is there any correct order to install drivers? Am I missing anything?

I should say that I contacted Microsoft and they are sending me a cd with service pack 1 update on it so I?ll do format/reinstall when I get that. When should I install service pack 1 in relation to other drivers?

Many thanks

P

Giant68 13:46 25 Jul 03

When you have installed XP it will then set up hardware for you, some of the hardware it find generic drivers for, others it will ask for the drivers thru the add new hardware wizard that comes up. Once all these have been set up and the XP install is finished you can then go thru and tidy up, installing the correct drivers thru device manager from your backups. I'd start with graphics. Once all the drivers are in then do the service pack. Your BIOS will be left alone.
Changing the file system to ntfs should be better than the old fat32.

Giant68

pookie 19:54 26 Jul 03

thanks for reply and advice Giant68. Will do and I'll let you know if any problems.

thanks again

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac